riffraff = bar + bookstore

One of my pleasures of living in Providence, Rhode Island is the discovery of new-to-me loveliness.  Tonight was one such experience.

My new friend, Christine (*) recommended I check out this cool place called riffraff, a combination bookstore and bar, located  in Olneyville which is only a few blocks away from my home:

"Riffraff draws its inspiration from the best independent bookstores and neighborhood bars, establishments that are welcoming and comfortable and integral to the community. It's the kind of place where readers looking for a selection of thoughtfully curated books might sit down at the bar and ask their neighbor what they’re reading, and where those meeting a friend for a good inexpensive drink might also pick up a book at the same time."



I love this place!  I think I learned about an event featuring two authors through What Cheer Writer's Club and decided to check it out.  Tonight, Caren Beilin - author of Spain - and Aaron Shulman - author of The Age of Disenchantments: The Epic Story of Spain's Most Notorious Literary Family and the Long Shadow of the Spanish Civil War - read portions of each of their offerings and then interviewed each other.  It was a fascinating exchange between the two authors as I enjoyed one of the signature cocktails offer by the venue (be sure to check out No. 3 when you stop by.  It was recommended by the bartender and I am pleased that I stepped out of my comfort zone to try something new).  After the event, I perused the bookstore and purchased two fantastic books:  Everything That Rises Must Converge - stories by Flannery O'Connor and The Beginner's Guide to Crystals by Lisa Butterworth.

The literary events hosted by riffraff are free and they also host book clubs (of course they do!).

The space is located in a converted mill, I believe, that also houses Troop, a restaurant that is already on my 'must visit' list.

When I paid for my books, I had to mention my role with Frequency Writers (our poster was hanging just behind the register) and one of the owners mentioned Powell's (located in Portland, OR) in our conversation.  I don't know.  I'm a fan of a sweet space that offers access to books that doesn't overwhelm me.  Bottom line: I'll be back and hope to see you there!

(*) Who is a millennial, mind you; not my usual compatriot of choice, but I really like her. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Providence Art Club

The Providence Improv Guild